Cellar – A room or enclosed space used for storage, usually beneath the ground or under a building.
Basement - One or more habitable floors either partially or entirely below ground level.
Retrofit Basement – The construction of a basement under an existing building where there is no existing basement although a cellar may already exist.
It is important that we have a full understanding of your intended basement use in order to give a full and accurate quotation.
The fundamentals of any basement plan are:
- Location of walls to form new rooms
- Lighting requirements
- Head height requirements
- Choice of heating systems
- Means of escape
- Location of staircase and design
- Requirements for kitchen space, utility rooms, bathrooms, cinema rooms, swimming pools or any other special requirements
Upon completion the client with be handed over the new basement with the following documentation where applicaple:
- Electrical Sign Off Certificate
- Gas Safety Certificate
- Plans as Built Drawings
- Drainage Layout
- Technical Literature For Any Installed Equipment
- Manufacturers Instructions For Appliances
- Manufacturers Guarantees For Appliances
New Basement Conversions may be used for the following
- Entertainment Room
- Guest House
- Swimming Pool
- Wet Rooms
- Utility Rooms
- Home Cinema
Basement and Party Wall Notices
When planning to retro fit a basement to a terraced or semi-detached house you will need to consider the Party Wall Act 1996. The Party Wall Act was introduced to enable owners living in close proximity to one another to develop their properties without causing unnecessary inconvenience to each other.